Wednesday 27 June 2012

Jamaica Inn


In 1935 Daphne du Maurier wrote Jamaica Inn set in 1820’s Cornwall.  It is a book I have always wanted to read but never actually got round to. I am a massive fan of du Maurier having read Rebecca after a recommendation from my Mum.  So after discovering that Jamaica Inn is an actual place we decided a visit was in order. 

As with all holidays I made sure I had a big stack of books with me and I started reading Jamaica Inn just before the end. It is the story of Mary Yellan a girl of ‘three-and-twenty years’ who goes to live with her Aunt and Uncle after the death of her Mother. Her new home is the Jamaica Inn a bleak and soul destroying pub avoided by law abiding citizens. Mary soon finds herself embroiled in her Uncle’s misdeeds in a vain attempt to protect her fragile aunt. As with Rebecca, Jamaica Inn is set against a gothic backdrop reminiscent of great literary works such as Jane Eeyre and Dracula.

Jamaica Inn is located on the Bodmin Moor. It is known as Cornwall’s most famous Smuggling Inn. As well as being a Hotel, Bar, and Eatery, Jamaica Inn also houses the Daphne du Maurier Smugglers Museum. In fact the museum is mainly about smugglers and the various methods of smuggling goods (in radios, fruit and even corsets). I would say that it is a dated exhibition – it is as though an enthusiastic landlord has compiled it, perhaps in the 1970’s. Having said that it is worth a look even if it is just to say you’ve been (and they have an extensive gift shop).

No comments:

Post a Comment