Wednesday 11 January 2012

Ironing Week

Don’t worry, I haven’t spent the whole week ironing, but I have been thinking about it quite a bit. This is because I am so happy with our new Philips Energycare Iron. 
Our previous iron was rubbish; it had a few special features due to its age:

1. The water gushed out and threatened me with electrocution.
2. It drank ironing water like I drink diet coke (too much).
3. It frequently spat brown grot onto Mr Ball’s favourite work shirt.
4. It used a ridiculous amount of energy. 

When we compiled our wedding gift list we researched irons and the Philips Energycare iron seemed the best for our needs (YAY) but in the end no one chose it (BOO). Luckily we had some Debenhams vouchers and we saw it in the January sales (half price).

So, why is to so good?
It is comfortable to hold and has a carefully shaped edge which means you can focus on all those delicate bits (I’m thinking collars and cuffs).  It also gets creases out effortlessly.
My favourite thing about the new iron is that I filled it with ironing water three weeks ago and it is still nowhere near running out. We have gone from buying ironing water once at week at 89p per bottle to using less than one a month. You’ve got to love a saving! It also does ‘exactly what it says on the tin’ it takes care not to use much energy and that’s got to be a good thing!

My Ironing Tips
These tips are from countless years of reading my Grandma’s magazines, my Mum and even the occasional random woman in waiting rooms. It is advice I follow but I can’t necessarily remember the exact source. 

1. The iron is the electrical appliance which uses the most energy in the home, if you are trying to cut down on your bills, consider items that may not need ironing (e.g  vest tops that are worn under clothes or pyjamas etc).
2. That grot I mentioned before is a build up of the different fibres from clothes over time. It is important to use the cleaning function on your iron to keep it in a good condition.
3. Don’t use tap water, especially if you live in hard water areas as this will wreck your iron. Ironing water is good because it also makes your clothes smell nice.
4. Haystacks –it’s another word gleaned from my Mum. There is nothing worse than having to spend hours ironing (although it is a good calorie burner). A woman in the doctor’s surgery once mentioned that she irons straight after she washes and dries a load of washing, then she puts it away. As with a lot of things, little and often is the way to go.
5. Lastly, try not to turn your iron on just to iron one thing. It will use a lot of energy and it is also a waste of your time. 

Book Review
Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

Afterwards is a stunning second novel from Rosamund Lupton and was a Christmas present from Mr Ball. I became a fan after reading Lupton’s debut novel, Sister, during the summer. Lupton comes from a scriptwriting background, which I believe is why I have become so enthralled by her work. Each paragraph paints a vivid  picture of what the characters are experiencing as though it is happening in real time. Lupton chooses an interesting perspective to write from and distorts the story accordingly. I can safely say that you won’t have experienced such a novel before (unless you have read Sister).

The story focuses on a mother and daughter who have been trapped in a fire together. Throughout the course of the book secrets are uncovered which change the lives of those involved forever. It is a definite page turner, which is so layered with mystery I felt compelled to finish it within two days. 

Afterwards is a strong contender for your next book choice.

Keep reading The Student Housewife to see if Afterwards appears in my top 10 books of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment