Wednesday 25 January 2012

The last week has been a struggle…

For about a week, I have been constantly on my way somewhere.  My brain is so full of things I should be doing/thinking that I almost missed two social events. Usually it’s alright because I use my trusty paper diary, but I’ve been so busy lately I haven’t had chance to check it. 

I have always been bad with dates (and on dates but that’s another story). I have offended people by having to ‘double check’ their birthdays. In fact we scheduled our wedding for exactly a month before my birthday to increase the likelihood I remember our anniversary. 

Yesterday, I was speaking to my friend and I said ‘I struggle with dates because I was never very good at Science.’ Well he found this absolutely hilarious because of course it’s nothing to do with Science, but we never really established what it was to do with…answers on a postcard (or email) please. 

Today I had a list of what I wanted to achieve – based around the preparation required for my Uni modules later this week. I got up, put on my scruffs (that’s what Cheryl Cole calls a tracksuit) and sat at my desk with the knowledge that it would take a few hours of epic concentration to meet my goal. 

I was ahead of schedule when suddenly my phone rang, it was my friend saying he was going to be a few minutes late. Then I remembered – Lunch! I had even suggested the day and time. I admitted my error and he was understanding, if a little amused and I rushed to get ready. 

Understandably, Mr Ball is the ‘Minister of Home Affairs’ in our house (a term gleaned from my brother – in his house it’s his wife, so this date thing must run in the family). Mr Ball’s in charge of remembering where we have to be, I’m in charge of navigation. I don’t trust Sat Nav (how were we to know that if you drive near the sea, salt coats the windscreen and it stops working), or that annoying map on Iphones you have to wave around in a figure of eight to make it work (best advert for thieves ever), give me a good old fashioned map any day.

Anyway, I blame this recent bout of forgetfulness on my creativity.  I am buzzing with ideas and this always happens when I’m back at Uni (with no time to actually work on them). Hopefully, if I write them down, I will be able to go back to them over the summer, but by then the sparkle usually fades and they’re not such good ideas after all. 

Unfortunately I have no book review for you this week – unless you’d like to hear about some boring academic reading I had to do? - I guess not. Next week I will put two books on.

Also, I’ve been watching ‘Call the Midwife’ on BBC1, which is amazing! Definitely worth a look if you haven’t seen it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment